This survey is carried out every month to gain a quick understanding of shifts in consumer perception as a tool in evaluating economic trends.
Please see the"explanation" page of this survey for more details
Summary of the latest survey
The Survey of January 2017 was released on February 2nd, 2017 New
- This survey was conducted on January 15th, 2017.
- It covered 8,400 households (Households of two or more persons are 5,712,One-person households are 2,688).
- The response rate was 67.1% (Households of two or more persons:72.1%, One-person households :56.4%)
1. Consumer Confidence Index, Consumer Perception Indices
- The Consumer Confidence Index (seasonally adjusted series) in January 2017 was 43.2, up 0.1 points from the previous month.
- The categories of the Consumer Perception Indices (seasonally adjusted series), which are comprised of the Consumer Confidence Index in January are as follows;
Overall livelihood: 42.0 (the same as the previous month)
Income growth: 41.6 (down 0.3 from the previous month)
Employment:46.2 (up 0.5 from the previous month)
Willingness to buy durable goods:42.8 (the same as the previous month)
2. Price expectations a year ahead
- The percentage of a group who expect "Go up" in January was 74.9%, an increase of 0.7% points from the previous month.
- The percentage of a group who expect "stay the same about 0%" in January was 16.5%, a decrease of 0.7% points from the previous month.
- The percentage of a group who expect "Go down" in January was 5.0%, a decrease of 0.5% points from the previous month.
Time series data
- The Development of the Consumer Confidence Index (Households of two or more persons, original series) (Excel:87KB)
- The Development of the Consumer Confidence Index (Households of two or more persons, seasonally adjusted series) (Excel:89KB)
- Price Expectations (Excel:151KB)
- The survey method was changed to "mail survey method" from April 2013.
- At the same time, the released time-series tables were reviewed from April 2013. (The time-series data of Tokyo was scrapped.)
- The change of survey method from April 2013 has some impacts on the results of the survey.
- The results of April 2013 survey were compared to those of the examination survey * on March 2013.
* The examination survey was carried out from July 2012 to March 2013 via the mail survey method for the purpose of analysis of the impact on the results by the change of survey method.
- The summary and data of the examination survey
- 【reference】Connection method between the new series (from April 2013 survey)and the old one(until March 2013 survey)(added on 13 June,2013)